Are you a tour operator or have you been put in charge of planning a bus group trip to New Ulm for your church, senior citizen group, or local organization? We can promise you a trip that will be memorable and fun, and have your group asking you when's the next trip to the Most German City in America?! Here's a sample itinerary!
Optional Site Tours
August Schell's Brewery Tour & Tasting 1-1 1/2 hours / $5 per person / open year-round H
- Tour the brewery, ratskeller & tasting. Make time for gardens and gift shop / Minimum of 20 people
- Contact: 507-354-5528 / email@example.com
Hermann Monument 1/2 hour / $3 per person / open seasonal only
- Climb to the top of the monument (80') and see over the Minnesota River Valley for 15 miles
- No advance registration required
Brown County Museum 30-45 minutes / $7 per person / Open year-round H
- See the newest exhibits and the award-winning "U.S. - Dakota War of 1862" exhibit
- Contact: 507-233-2616 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Gov. John Lind Home 30-45 minutes / $3 per person / Open for groups year-round H
- Tour this elegant Governor's home and her of his life. Special "Victorian Teas or Lunches" available
- Contact: 507-354-8802 / email@example.com
Wanda Gag Home 30-45 minutes / $5 per person / Open for groups year-round
- Discover this interesting home of two generations of artists, with hand stenciling, paintings, etc.
- Contact: 507-359-2632 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Harkin General Store 30-45 minutes / $5-6 per person / Open seasonally H (except coach buses)
- Learn about life in 1870 from the old general store on the MN River - with 40% original stock still in store!
- Contact: 507-354-8666 / mnhs.org/places/sites/hs
Minnesota Music Hall of Fame 30-45 minutes / $5 per person / Open for groups year-round H
- All styles of Minnesota's music is represented with exhibits, instruments, hand-held audio devices, etc.
- Contact: 507-354-7305 / email@example.com
Morgan Creek Vineyards 45-60 minutes / Tastings are $10 per person / Open seasonally H
- Enjoy an introduction and tasting at this beautiful winery. Optional meals available. Special events abound
- Contact: 507-947-3547 / morgancreekvineyards.com
Glockenspiel 10-15 minutes / no charge! / performs daily! H
- Catch the sounds of this 45' Glockenspiel with 37 bells and 3 chances to hear it daily at noon, 3 & 5 PM
- No advanced registration required
Kiesling House 30-45 minutes / $3 adults, under 6 free / Memorial - Labor Day Sat & Sun 1-4 PM - groups tours year-round
- Explore this U.S. Dakota War surviving house that is the only wood-framed home left from that era in Brown County!
- Contact: 507-233-2620 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Turner Hall 1-2 hours / free - food avail. for purchase / Open daily 10 AM-10 PM H
- Check out the beautiful murals in the Rathskeller that were covered during WWI to prove loyalty to America and restored in 1999
- Contact: 507-354-4916 / email@example.com
Riverside History & Nature Learning Center 1-2 hours / Contact for current hours, but happy to accommodate tour groups
- One the Franklin School building, learn all there is to know about riverboats, the clamming industry & river fishing
- Contact: 507-354-8367 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathedral of the Holy Trinity 30-60 minutes / Daily 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM H
- A fine example of German Baroque architecture originally created by local artists Alexander Schwendinger, Christ Heller & Anton Gag
- Contact: 507-354-4158
Domeier's German Store 30-60 minutes / Contact for current hours, but happy to accommodate tour groups
- Shop Germany in MN! Classic old world store stocked with the same merchandise found in the shops of Germany.
- The store is small, large groups will have to take turns.
- Contact: 507-354-4231
Martin Luther College "Chapel of Christ" 30-60 minutes / Always Open H
- Worship services and concerts are open to the public and free of charge
- Contact: 507-354-8221
Way of the Cross 30-60 minutes / Always Open (chapel not open in winter months, path not shoveled)
- 14 Stations with statues imported from Bavaria provide a reflective walk up a gentle incline to chapel dedicated to the Mother of Sorrows
- No advanced registration required
Starkeller Brewery & Tap Room 1 hour / Fri 4-9 Sat 2-9 Sun 1-5 H
- Enjoy a glass from the Noble Star series of "sour" Berliner Weiss-style beer. These unique beers are aged at least 12 months.
- Contact: 507-354-5528 / email@example.com
- Come during a festival! Get the true German experience from New Ulm and visit us during one of our unique German festivals! Visit this page for dates and details.
For more information, contact:
New Ulm Convention & Visitor Bureau
1 N Minnesota St, New Ulm, MN 56073
888-463-9856 // firstname.lastname@example.org
City Tour with Step-On Guide
We also have a step-on guide program! For $50, an experienced, trained tour guide boards your coach (many wear a Germanic costume) and can take your group on an up-to-2-hour guided tour around the city. You and your tour guide can determine the itinerary of the tour. The general city tour will include drive-by and narration of many of the following attractions:
- Historic Downtown Architecture
- Holy Trinity Cathedral (we'll try to go inside)
- The Hermann Monument
- Way of the Cross & Fr. Berghold Park
- Gov. John Lind's Home
- Brown County History Museum
- Brown County Veteran's Memorial
- Sites associated with two battles of New Ulm during the US-Dakota War of 1862
- Defenders' Monument
- Martin Luther College Chapel
- Steamboat Landing Site
- Author Wanda Gag's Home
- German-Bohemian Monument
- German Park
- Historic Turner Hall
- Heritage Tree
Step-On Guides - Please contact tour guides directly. You will also pay them ($50) directly.
- Terry Sveine - email@example.com, 507-354-1123
- Beth Scharf - firstname.lastname@example.org, 920-757-5606
- Rev. Michael Otterstatter - email@example.com, 507-766-2744
- Lisa Besemer - firstname.lastname@example.org, 507-766-1991
- Rosalee Daugherty - 507-354-1467
Guided Downtown Walking Tour - Please contact the Brown County Historical Society at email@example.com, 507-233-2616.