New Director at the Public Library!January 11, 2019
New Member: AmericInn in Sleepy EyeJanuary 22, 2019
So much snow! With February breaking snowfall amount records, many of us are feeling the winter blues. Now is the perfect time to plan a getaway to New Ulm! Plus there are added perks to visiting New Ulm this time of year including lower hotel rates and no crowds to fight!
Want to plan a winter getaway to New Ulm? There is plenty to keep you busy here! Here are a few ideas:
Chill Out (outdoor fun):
- Snowshoe/Ski at Flandrau State Park – rent equipment on site
- Glockenspiel – performance 3x daily
- Hermann Monument – on the national-register! You can’t climb to the top this time of year, but it is still worth checking out!
- Downtown Walking Tour – self-guided – pick up map at Visitor Center
- Snowmobile trails
- Ice Skating – indoor & outdoor rinks – skate rental available
- New Ulm Steel Hockey – catch a game (NA3HL) – technically this is indoor, but bundle up for this experience!
Warm Up (indoor fun):
- Brown County History Museum – hands-on exhibits, don’t miss the national-award-winning US-Dakota War exhibit on the 3rd floor!
- Schell’s Brewery – tours available on the weekends, but grounds and gift shop open daily! Visit the Museum of Brewing on site too!
- New Ulm Cathedral – aw-inspiring interior with artwork by nationally-known local artists
- Turner Hall – MN’s oldest bar – check out the 1873 murals in the rathskeller!
- The Grand Center for Arts & Culture – art exhibits, gift shop, plus live music/food/drinks on Fri & Sat nights!
- Shopping – you’ve heard of New Ulm boutiques and specialty shops – come see what all the buzz is about!
- Dining – from sauerkraut to steak to enchiladas, we’ve got it all!
- Movie Theater – catch a flick!
- Bowling – how’s your game?
- Newest hot spots in New Ulm? Experience the Starkeller Brewery & Tap Room and The Retz 227 Speakeasy – both are a little hard to find, but well worth the search!
- Most of our other attractions are open by appointment year-round! Click here for contact info.
These are just a few of the things you can experience when you visit New Ulm this winter/spring! Click here for more trip ideas, lodging options, and more to help you plan your trip.
- Brown County History Museum – Kyle Krenz/October MN, Hermann Monument – Adam/Foresee Studios