New Ulm is home to a diverse and growing manufacturing sector. To facilitate further growth, the City offers tax exemptions, tax credits, high-quality and available labor, low-cost land, and a quality of life that is hard to beat. Find out why companies like 3M, Kraft-Heinz, AMPI, Parker, Windings, American Artstone, and Ilpea have chosen New Ulm for their manufacturing facilities.
New Ulm Public Utilities Commission (PUC) oversees: Electricity, Natural Gas, Steam, Water, and Wastewater.
310 1st North St.
- Water Source: Wells
- Storage Capacity: 7.800,000 gallons
- Pumping Capacity: 3,500 gal./min.
- Average Demand: 2,000,000 gal./day
- Peak Demand: 5,295,000 gal./day
- Total Water Hardness: 530 ppm
- Industrial Water Rate: $2.89/Million gal.
- Treatment Type: Mechanical plant
- Capacity of Plant: 6 Million gal./day
- Average Flow: 2.5 Million gal./day
- Peak Flow: 4.5 Million gal./day
- Commercial: $3.94 Million gal.
- Industrial: $1.90/Million gal.
Agriculture is a large economic driver in the state, and New Ulm is no exception. Brown County's 1,055 farms provide 1,290 jobs. The principal crops grown in the area include corn, soybeans and sweet corn for canning. Farms in the area also raise dairy and beef cattle, hogs and turkeys.
Brown County ranks:
- 3rd in the state in sweet corn production
- 4th in the state in pork production
- 7th in the state in cattle on feed
- 15th in the state in livestock production
- 18th in the state in total ag production
- New Ulm has a local telephone provider with additional long-distance and cell phone service providers.
- E-commerce needs can be readily handled.
- A City-administered public access channel is available.
- Public Internet access is available at the Public Library (17 N. Broadway St.), at NU-Telecom (27 N. Broadway St.) and many other establishments including several city parks.
- New Ulm is "fully-wired" with multiple television and broadband providers, each with state-of-the-art technology.
- Current technologies include:
- DSL/ISDN/TI/Fiber Optics; Wired Buildoings/WiFi/Networking; Digital Video TV
- Computer Configuring and Sales; Computer, Telephone and Accessory Sales
- Public Internet Access Sites; High-speed Broadband Internet
- Digital Cable; High-Definition Broadcasting; On-Demand Video Service
- Digital Video Recorders
- New Ulm enjoys a daily newspaper, the Journal, and local radio stations, KNUJ at 860 AM, 97.3 FM and SAM at 107.3 FM.
Employment by Industry
Natural Resources & Mining = 705 Brown County and 3,536 South Central Region
Construction = 717 Brown County and 4,920 South Central Region
Manufacturing= 2,885 Brown County and 19,520 South Central Region
Transportation, Trade & Utilities = 2,802 Brown County and 21,003 South Central Region
Information = 275 Brown County and 2,098 South Central Region
Financial Activities = 483 Brown County and 3,716 South Central Region
Professional & Business Services = 854 Brown County and 5,780 South Central Region
Education & Health Services= 3, 055 Brown County and 28,109 South Central Region
Leisure & Hospitality = 1,176 Brown County and 8,949 South Central Region
Other Services = 284 Brown County and 3,073 South Central Region
Public Administration = 672 Brown County and 5,614 South Central Region
Top Ten Major Employers
3M Corporation: 700
New Ulm Medical Center: 600
Kraft Heinz Company: 495
New Ulm Public Schools: 306
Brown County: 275
Associated Milk Producers, Inc. (AMPI): 252
J & R Schugel Trucking: 220
Hy-Vee Foods: 216
Mankato Rehabilitation Center, Inc. (MRCI): 200
Cash Wise Foods: 200
|Economic Development Corporation||Yes|
|Economic Development Authority||Yes|
|County Development Corporation||Yes|
|Chamber of Commerce||Yes|
Incentives that are available to qualifying businesses include:
- T.I.F. (tax increment financing)
- Tax abatement
- Two local revolving loan funds, with build-to-suit/lease-back arrangements
- Electric Bill rebate
- Job creation refund
Assistance offered includes:
- Site location assistance
- Technical assistance in accessing regional, state or federal loans
- Technology transfers or access to world-wide markets
- Workforce training grants
Community Development Director, City of New Ulm
100 North Broadway
New Ulm, MN 56073