Brandy Schwartz welcomed at EON (MBW)!February 22, 2020
Plan a trip to New Ulm with our FREE 2020 GuideFebruary 28, 2020
Discover how Germans Have More Fun in the most German city in America! Located just 90 miles from MSP in the beautiful Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway, New Ulm has something for everyone! Visit the 102′ “Hermann the German” Monument overlooking the city; enjoy a tour and tasting at Schell’s Brewery, the second-oldest family owned brewery in America; shop the unique boutiques in the historic downtown; hear 37 bells chime at our Glockenspiel; sip a cocktail in the Rathskeller of Turner Hall, the oldest bar in America.
With more snow and cold temps in the forecast, many of us are feeling the winter blues. Now is the perfect time to plan a getaway to New Ulm! Plus there are added perks to visiting New Ulm this time of year including lower hotel rates and no crowds to fight!
Want to plan your winter getaway to New Ulm? There is plenty to keep you busy here! Here are a few ideas:
Chill Out (outdoor fun):
- Snowshoe/Ski at Flandrau State Park – rent equipment on site
- Glockenspiel – performance 3x daily
- Hermann Monument – on the national-register! You can’t climb to the top this time of year, but it is still worth checking out!
- Downtown Walking Tour – self-guided – pick up map at Visitor Center
- Snowmobile trails
- Ice Skating – indoor & outdoor rinks – skate rental available
- New Ulm Steel Hockey – catch a game (NA3HL) – technically this is indoor, but bundle up for this experience!
Warm Up (indoor fun):
- Brown County History Museum – hands-on exhibits, don’t miss the national-award-winning US-Dakota War exhibit on the 3rd floor!
- Schell’s Brewery – tours available on the weekends, but grounds and gift shop open daily! Visit the Museum of Brewing on site too!
- New Ulm Cathedral – aw-inspiring interior with artwork by nationally-known local artists
- Turner Hall – MN’s oldest bar – check out the 1873 murals in the rathskeller!
- The Grand Center for Arts & Culture – art exhibits, gift shop, plus live music/food/drinks on Fri & Sat nights!
- Shopping – you’ve heard of New Ulm boutiques and specialty shops – come see what all the buzz is about!
- Dining – from sauerkraut to steak to enchiladas, we’ve got it all!
- Movie Theater – catch a flick!
- Bowling – how’s your game?
- The Pinball Place – that’s right – a whole game room full of pinball machines! Check out this new fun addition to New Ulm!
- Experience the Starkeller Brewery & Tap Room and The Retz 227 Speakeasy – both are a little hard to find, but well worth the search!
- Most of our other attractions are open by appointment year-round! Click here for contact info.
These are just a few of the things you can experience when you visit New Ulm this winter/spring! Click here for more trip ideas, lodging options, and more to help you plan your trip.
- Brown County History Museum – Kyle Krenz/October MN, Hermann Monument – Adam/Foresee Studios